Reported by: Robert Klien
Apple’s App Store, as the CEO Tim Cook claims, has close to 650,000 apps to download and 400 million accounts with registered credit cards. The hype surrounding which mobile OS platform has more apps has taken a downhill after recent report from Adeven, an analytical firm reveals that 400,000 apps of App Store have never been downloaded. The tool used to measure this data is known as Apptrace.
The App Store is a digital application distribution platform for iOS from Apple which allows users to browse and download applications from the iTunes Store. There are paid applications as well as loads of free apps found in the App Store. In fact 30 percent of profit that comes through apps goes to Apple while the rest 70 percent ends up with those who produced the apps.
Among them, the top 10 paid apps as of now include Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds Seasons, Words With Friends, Tiny Wings, Angry Birds Rio, Pocket God and Camera+. While the top 10 free apps are Facebook, Pandora Radio, Words With Friends Free, Skype, The Weather Channel, Google Search, Google Earth, Angry Birds Free, Shazam and Netflix.
Says Christian Henschel, the Adeven CEO: “If you’re not on those lists, it’s not sure that you’re being discovered by anyone else. The top 25 tend to be the same companies who spend millions of dollars to get to the top of those lists. If you’re an independent, small app publisher, then it’s really tough to be discovered.”
He further stated that, “We’re not only measuring success within the app, but also within the ecosystem…We will also soon be launching a feature where you can compare apps against each other, which is something that’s not available at the moment.”
In comparison to apps in App Store, Google Play of Android mobile OS platform features close to 600,000 applications. And Adeven is expected to provide data on Android analytics in the fourth quarter. It would be an interesting showdown to watch whether Android’s Google Play Store voices a similar concern or not. As of now Apptrace tool collates iOS data only from the 155 countries where the App Store is present.